If those reports are true, it’s obviously a horrendous – albeit sadly predictable – turn of events.
In my view, a difficult and sensitive situation has been made worse by irresponsible reporting by some in the media, sick publicity-seeking by companies ranging from betting firms to private investigators, and baying crowds on social media believing that anyone who was mentioned in the leaked database deserves everything coming to them…
Well, they’re wrong.
Nobody deserves to die because of the Ashley Madison leak. And even if your details were found in the database it DOESN’T mean you were ever a member of the site (as it didn’t verify email addresses), and it definitely doesn’t mean you cheated on your partner.
And even if you were on the Ashley Madison website, you might have had a perfectly good reason that no-one would be likely to find questionable.
If you have been affected by the Ashley Madison hack, and feel distressed or vulnerable, please seek help.
USA and Canada
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90
Lifeline: 13 11 14
Suicide prevention hotlines for other countries are listed here.Further reading:
- Ashley Madison's leaked database available for download - read this first
- Ashley Madison blackmailers now sending threats via US postal system
- Here's what an Ashley Madison blackmail letter looks like
- Now it's Ashley Madison wives who are receiving blackmail letters
- 'Bring me the head of the AC/DC-loving Ashley Madison hacker'
- Suicide and Ashley Madison
- Ashley Madison: Betting site offers odds on who will be exposed
- 'Yes. I was a member of the Ashley Madison website. But I wasn’t there to cheat on anyone'
- Ashley Madison hack could expose 37 million 'cheating dirtbags'
- No Ashley Madison, you weren't burgled by terrorists
- Ashley Madison users warned of password risk
- Cracked Ashley Madison passwords consistent with years of poor security
- Post-hack, Ashley Madison offers members full and free account deletion
- Don't judge Ashley Madison users too quickly, their accounts may be fake
- Just who is joining the Ashley Madison website?
- Fembots land Ashley Madison in hot water with the FTC
- Ashley Madison's marketing department clearly didn't get the memo
- Ashley Madison: Further thoughts on its aftermath
- Ashley Madison hack claims another victim: Its CEO
- Ashley Madison slammed with $1.6 million fine for devastating data breach