Why a business spat resulted in Liberia falling off the internet, how the US Government shutdown is impacting website security, and the perplexing world of extreme IoT devices.
All this and much more is discussed in the latest edition of the award-winning “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by special guest Zoë Rose.
Zoë Rose – @5683monkey
- Mirai Botnet DDoS (Sky News) — YouTube.
- Massive Cyber Attack Knocks Out Access To Websites (CNBC) — YouTube.
- Download the Mirai source code, and you can run your own IoT botnet — Graham Cluley.
- The makers of the Mirai IoT-hijacking botnet are sentenced — Tripwire State of Security.
- Danny Kaye — Wikipedia.
- "Wonderful Copenhagen" — Danny Kaye from the movie “Hans Christian Andersen”.
- International hacker-for-hire jailed for cyber attacks on Liberian telecommunications provider — National Crime Agency.
- Courts Hand Down Hard Jail Time for DDoS — Krebs on Security.
- Liberian ISP sues rival for hiring hacker to attack its network — ZDNet.
- .gov security falters during U.S. shutdown — Netcraft.
- TLS Certificates for Many .gov Domains Not Renewed Due to Government Shutdown — Security Week.
- These ‘extreme baby monitors’ claim to track your child’s breathing, heartbeat and every movement — MarketWatch.
- Fisher-Price’s wearable baby monitor is an unreliable rash machine — Engadget.
- Threema – Seriously secure messaging.
- Africa by Toto to play 'for all eternity' in Namib desert — YouTube.
- Africa by Toto to play on eternal loop 'down in Africa' — BBC News.
- "The Brain: The Story of You" by David Eagleman — Amazon.
- "The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure" by Greg Lukianoff — Amazon.
- How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus — The Atlantic.
- Smashing Security merchandise (t-shirts, mugs, stickers and stuff)
Follow the show:
Warning: This podcast may contain nuts, adult themes, and rude language.