Evidence of Russia hacking the US election leaks from the NSA and Reality is not a winner, confidential data is accidentally exposed in the cloud by a defence contractor, and Gordon Ramsay has a few choice words for his hacking father-in-law.
All this and more is discussed in the latest edition of the “Smashing Security” podcast by computer security veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault, joined this week by special guest Ian Whalley.
- The classic era Smashing Security team… reunited at Infosec — Graham and Carole bumped into someone called Vanja Svajcer at the Infosec show in London, and couldn’t resist getting a selfie.
- Top-Secret NSA Report Details Russian Hacking Effort Days Before 2016 Election — The Intercept report which kicked everything off.
- Affidavit in support of application for Reality Winner’s arrest warrant — Read the PDF for yourself.
- How The Intercept might have helped unmasked Reality Winner to the NSA — David Bisson writes on grahamcluley.com.
- How The Intercept Outed Reality Winner — Robert Graham’s blog post about the really rather hard-to-see little yellow dots.
- Defense contractor stored intelligence data in Amazon cloud unprotected — Booz Allen Hamilton engineer posted geospatial intelligence to Amazon S3 bucket.
- Gordon Ramsay’s father-in-law jailed over hacking plot — BBC News Online.
- Gordon Ramsay the hypocrite: How TV chef defended sharks… but previously caught two rare ones for fun — The controversial Daily Mail article that included pictures stolen from Gordon Ramsay’s email account.
- Malcolm Tucker’s best insults (Explicit) — YouTube clips from BBC’s “The Thick of It”. Not for young ears or the easily offended…
- Smashing Security: 014: Protecting webmail - a Smashing Security splinter — In this podcast we run through our tips on how to better secure your web-based email accounts. Chances are that you’re not doing all of these!
- Smashing Security: Passwords - a Smashing Security splinter — Password best practices explained in our podcast.
- Boxcryptor - Encryption software to secure cloud files — Encrypt your files before you shove them in the cloud…
- How to use Google Maps offline — Ian’s tip on how to use your smartphone to navigate, even when you don’t have a data connection.
- Trump in translation: president’s mangled language stumps interpreters — Carole’s pick of the week from The Guardian.
Graham Cluley - @gcluley
Carole Theriault - @caroletheriault
Thanks to our sponsor:
This episode of Smashing Security is made possible by the generous support of iovation.
iovation is offering Smashing Security listeners a free demonstration of its mobile multifactor solution product, LaunchKey, which can be built into your mobile apps, websites and online services to provide a simple, streamlined remote login function.
Visit demos.launchkey.com, and thanks to iovation for their support.
Follow the show:
Remember: Subscribe on iTunes or your favourite podcast app, to catch all of the episodes as they go live. Thanks for listening!